Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Meeting Other Mommies

When I first became a Mommy, I found it pretty easy to talk to other moms.  Perhaps the lack of sleep allowed me to lose my inhibitions.  Perhaps, after giving birth, I felt like I had nothing to hide.  Perhaps I just longed to hear adult voices instead of cries and coos.  Somewhere along the way, I became self conscious again.

It was hard for me not to compare myself to other moms.  There are so many amazing ladies out there who balance work, home, and raising beautiful children in an appearance of seamless grace.  I wanted to know how they did it, but also felt too shy to ask.  (There were many days where I felt like I was lucky to have gotten my laundry done so that I had a clean shirt to wear.)

On Wednesdays, Soft and Cozy Baby offers a Mom's Support G
roup at 2:30pm.  Here, I was able to come out of my shell a little bit at a time.  The first time I went, I was warmly welcomed and introduced by one of the store associates, but I didn't talk much.  However, just by listening, I realized that all moms have their own struggles.

The next time, I engaged a little more.  There were several moms with children a few months older than my son and it was great to hear about the next stages of his development from moms who had been there.  I found myself forming friendships and sharing information about everything from which restaurants in the area were particularly kid friendly to how to find a trustworthy babysitter.

It was so beneficial to know that other moms had faced some of the same struggles that I had and made it through successfully.  It helped me to gain confidence in my own mothering abilities and to trust myself.

Besides the Mom's Support Group, Soft and Cozy Baby also offers a Breastfeeding Mom's Circle on Thursdays at noon.  Both groups are drop-in, so feel free to come later after nap if that suits your needs better.  We hope to see you there!

Happy Mothering!
The Soft and Cozy Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment